Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day 2011.

Father's day has always been a special day for me. From the time when my youngest sat on my chest as I was awakening during those days when I worked night shift and used the weekend to charge my batteries until now when I have nothing to do but welcome family on Fathers day. In 1961 my daughter Lynda sat on my chest and welcomed Fathers day for the first time and I realize that it was special to be a father.

Today 50 years later I had that special feeling when I woke up but it was not my  child but my wonderful wife saying happy Fathers day. Fifty years seems like a long time but really it is a moment in time. I awoke at some time after 7 am and realized that I had a few commitments. My son and grandson Henry were coming down to see me. Steak on the BB was necessary and baked potatoes. My Daughter phoned and said the ball game was at 10 am and I should be there. Daughter number 2 phoned from Ottawa and said she would be phoning later.

I had to water the garden and get ready for my two granddaughters who were coming to discuss the children's books I was trying to write. They were to decipher my writings and put my thoughts in order. Everything worked out and we had a great family gathering between 12 pm and 4 pm. I had a visit from 3 of my four children and many of grand children. Fathers day was already a great day. For me who is a Softie when it comes to family had an emotional , happy day with the only people who really count, family. My friends will not mind this remark because they know they are next in line and I feel the same about them in a unfamily way.

For me Fathers day is and will always be a family day, As long as my children get in touch with me and my extended family try to contact me on this day I will be a happy father. I love my children and grandchildren so much and wish them all the success in the world and when they do well I am so happy and proud. There is a responsibility in being a Father. Unconditional love, honest advice and warm hugs and kisses. I love being a loved Father.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Pops! You are pretty much loved by all who know you and especially by your wife and kids!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it is going to be a great family day. My kids live out of state and Father's day is always a phone call. I wish you well with your writing. You are good at it and it is fun to have the kids check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...