Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lynda Dianne

On the 29th of March, 1960 I left home after being reassured that Roma was OK and the baby would be at least another day before entering this world. Besides being a special day for Roma and I having our first child, it was the evening I was to be promoted to 1st Lt. in the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment. I was dressed in my kilt and battle dress at the Port Arthur armories when I was called front and centre by Colonel Burke. I expected him to give me my second pip to make me a real Lt but instead he quietly said to me,"Get yourself out of here and get to McKeller Hospital, you just became the father of a baby girl".

Many visions raced through my mind as I raced the 8 miles to the hospital. Our daughter was not available immediately and I worried that something might have gone wrong. However I was eventually greeted with a beautiful daughter and was very happy. I had a name picked out and it was Dianne (the goddess of love) and Roma always said if she had a daughter it would be named after her best friend Lynda who was killed in a car accident. So Lynda entered the world with great expectations on our part and a whole life to live up to them.

As an only child before her sister was born, she was a little spoiled. But it was impossible to not spoil her because she was so cute and everyone gave her a lot of attention. I was a busy father but her mother was always by her side ad for a few years she made our life joyful and interesting. When we knew we were expecting again we discussed it with Lynda and asked if she would like a baby boy or girl. She kind of twisted up her face and said a baby brother would be OK but she really wanted a pony. That did not go over well with Roma.

Over the following years Lynda was our pride and joy and, along with the added family, took her place as a born leader and wonderful member of our family.I will not describe all of her characteristics but over the last 51 years she has been a source of energy and strength during all of our activities. A scholar, not a great athlete, but a good musician (not singer), store manager at 12 years when she looked after the cash register when her mom took a break, a sponge when it came to absorbing what it meant to be a family member and learning from her mother, and a sister to her siblings.

Later in life she became a friend and shared quiet moments with family and close friends which are still close, and communicate regularly to nurture her need for the memories of the past. Her greatest achievement was the love she showed for her mother who needed a caregiver while awaiting a lung transplant. She gave up her successful career in communications and devoted her life to her task. It was not a burden but an opportunity for her to be close to her mom, and all of our family admired her courage and devotion. Any of our family would have done the same, but she was the one who was able to have the time and will to get the job done.

While I was living and working in the High Arctic as part of our plan for Roma, she kept me in the loop and I never felt I was away. One little thing she did was send me a grow light so I might have real flowers in my home. Throughout the years since her Mom's death she, along with her siblings, have remained close and strong. She became the one to go to and our family get-togethers are the result of that magical thread that holds us together. For the past years life has been a constant series of significant adventures with children, grandchildren, and friends joining our ever expanding circle of extended family, and Lynda has been one of the constants in that circle.

So at 51, she will be embarking on other plans and other adventures, and that is what sets her apart from so many people. She has a social conscience and a drive to show it and make a difference. For all this we are proud and love our daughter, Lynda Dianne.

1 comment:

Ï'm interested in what you think ...