Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Little Sister

When you think of a little sister you rarely think in terms of a 68 year old grandmother. However my little sister is all the above and much more. Although we are six years apart in age we were very close in the latter part of our lives. As a child I remember the battles my Mom had in trying to get her to eat properly. I am sure she grew up on bread and molasses, without the crusts. She was sneeky that one in eating her home made bread and seperating the crusts and placing them on a ledge under the table. Mom probably knew but she being the baby was a little protected and spolied.

She sat in the fornt of our old Model A Ford truck while we suffered the dust in the open back and this little one was carried by Dad when we went for walks down to the big pond. Yes she was special and that was because she was the last of eight children. All this came to a close when Mom surprised us with a baby  boy years later.

I don't remember much about Carol as a youngster except she had great friends and was always happy. She and her sister were joined at the hip until later in life and shares many of the same friends.After high school Carol became a tearher and taught in Montreal with her brother and later a fellow who became her husband.

I was happy when Carol moved to Pembroke and lived close to me. She was the only member of my family to share a common area to live. During these years we became close friends and our family and hers blended together and created a happy situation for many years. During these times I realized what I missed about leaving home at a young age and never returning to become part of our family.

Carol moved away back home and has lived there ever since. The only time I shared time with her after that was in Florida where we had many happy times and again we talked of past happiness and planned future get togethers when we visited  Cape Breton.

Today is her birthday and I wish her all the happiness and I know I will have embarrassed her by writing this blog. I tried to phone her early this am and she was away looking after her grandson so this is the result. To the baby girl in our family I wish her all the best.

1 comment:

Ï'm interested in what you think ...