Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thursday Golf

I don't play golf on Thursday unless I get invited to a game from a friend or just about anyone. Today was just such a day. I had planned my day before I received a call from my grandson for a game. We usually have a day each summer when we do something special but this time golf. I was surprised as we have not played before but I heard he bought some Callaway clubs, new shoes and a rain jacket. This sounded like a challenge.

This summer was rather strange as I played only 7 times. We travelled and were busy and I just needed a break from the game as I play all winter. I made tee times for 7.45 at Saw Whet and I knew Adam liked to sleep so I phoned him at 6.30. He did not answer but called back right away. I boiled the water and made green tea and poured two cups in a thermos to get the lad awake. I told him I would pick him up at 7am and try to be on time.

As I drove the three kms to his home I wondered how good he was. Would I be embarrassed or whatever. I was early as usual and Adam showed up at 6.59 am. We were off to a good start. He liked the tea and as were drove to the course I was struck by the fact that he told me he was exactly 50 years younger than me. If that was not a signal to hedge my bets nothing was.

We checked in but these young people are slow on the draw so I treated him for the game. I actually owed him a game and we warmed up. He was so fast, swinging like Tiger. I was still at the trying to stretch time. We were unable to have a few puts because we we were up and we were able to play without partners. From the first I knew we were going to have a great day and the game went on and the conversation became more important than the golf..

We kept score but the score was not important. All through the three and a half hours we were able to exchange ideas and talk of his courses at university. I love the contact with the grand children and this was no exception. Every senior has this dream of connecting with their grand children and we are so fortunate as we see them often. It was golf Thursday but for me it was pure pleasure playing golf with Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...