Thursday, September 23, 2010

Proud Grandfather


My grandson Troy began his high school career this September and decided that football was to be his major fall sport. He is a little fellow but has put on many pounds of muscle this year by joining a gym with his dad. He was named Troy after a famous football star who played for the Dallas Cowboys. It was only logical he would be a football player. I have a picture from my football days as a varsity player many years ago. Troy would look at this picture in my pool room and say that one day his picture would be there as well.

Today I was given a call by my daughter saying Troy's first game was today. I went to the new field at his school and the million dollar field was absolutely the most beautiful I saw at a high school in Canada. I walked the field and felt that I would have liked to have a place like this to play football when I was young.

The players came on the field in a rush as only 44 young junior kids can. I spotted number 22 and watched his every move leading up to the game. He was the backup quarterback and clearly the smallest player on the team. His enthusiasm for the game was evident and he put his heart into every phase of the warm up drills. I smiled when he stood beside the guard and he was only up to his armpits. The game got started and there was no sign of Troy but his team went ahead 21 to 3.

As a grandfather I was anxious to see him on the field and near the end of the game he ran on to the field as quarterback. He looked nervous but carried out three plays in a row with two first downs and a flawless outing. It was enough to wet his love for the game and as he came to us after the final whistle his first words were," boy was I ever nervous but it was great".

I was happy to see Troy enter another phase of his life and become excited about his team and school in general. His Mom and Brother were happy for him as well and shared the day with our youngest grandchild.Who knows, he might become another Troy Aikman or just be a good sport and play for the love of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...