Friday, April 9, 2010

The Ugliest Turnip



I plant pineapples by cutting off the tops and letting them dry for a day or so and planting them in wet sandy soil. About half the time they root and we are rewarded with a pineapple. After Christmas we were having guests for dinner and we made a turnip and carrot vegetable dish. The next day when I was putting the peelings in the compost I noticed that the turnip top was beginning to sprout.

I planted the turnip top in the garden with the beets and in a few days I had a flourishing turnip. I wondered if a real vegetable would result from the experiment. Two months later I pulled out the plant to see if it grew. I grew alright and became the ugliest vegetable I ever saw. Club rooted and very large but hardly something you would like to put on the table.

I think I shall try this again by cutting the turnip top in many pieces like you do with a potato. The result could be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw the title of your post, I was relieved it wasn't about your children ... I have to say that is the most Gog-awful ugly turnip I have ever seen. See the beauty in blogging? YOu can share things that would otherwise remain deep in the dark soil. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your curiosity :)
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...