Saturday, April 17, 2010

Loose Ends


Saturday mornings are market days and as usual Theresa and I went to our local market. We never really needed anything but fresh flowers but we went anyway. The season for Snowbirds is over and you can tell as the numbers were not there today. We wandered through to see our regular vendors and to wish them well.

The bunches of carnations were beautiful and we bought two. This will do until we leave. Fresh corn and cucumbers were our other items and away we went. We looked back to see the place where we had many moments of fun going through the vendors tables when I spyed some large grapefruit. we went back and made our last purchase.

All the vendors said this was the worst year on record but they managed.The Plant City strawberries were selling almost half price as the fields ripened all at once. I share my feelings with Theresa about the resilience of our farmers. Too good a crop and the price drops, to poor a crop and nobody wants to buy as the price is high. Come to think of it, it is probably the best example of the free enterprise system in our capitalistic world.
Arriving home I am faced with a decision about our own produce. I will pick the carrots, beans, cabbage and whatever is left and give it away. Not a bad idea as everyone likes fresh produce. The last three weeks has our city green and lush as we already have been given over 20 inches of rain when the average for the whole winter is less than two.

They are predicting an active hurricane season but I think the east coast should be prepared for a bad summer and fall. Every year I make a prediction on the basis of the water temperature in the Arctic. So far it has been better than the hurricane center who derive their predictions on computer readings and the water temp in the south Pacific. I will never live it down if I am wrong.

Theresa and I are going dancing tonight with friends at the Elks Lodge. A little pre-anniversary get together and a chance to say so long for six months. I always feel at loose ends when we leave our home here or in Ontario. We seem to be in transition as we seek eternal sunshine but we never get bored as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...