Friday, April 2, 2010

New Hobby


I have always been interested in boats of all sizes. Last year when I had some spare time and materials from the garage I built a couple of boats for fun. I designed the boats on plywood and developed a plan. For tools I used what I had and although they were primitive it is surprising how you can hide errors with good sanding.

I wanted to build a sword fishing boat so I began to think of the small boats anchored at Lockmans Beach in Cape Breton. With very thin one and two ply wood I managed to get a hull that worked. I used the plywood over ribs and decking from a cigar box to complete the hull and deck. A coke can was used for the props and white piping cut thin for the portholes.

I furnished the area below deck like the fishermen did and left the cabin roof unfastened so you can look in. I have a sail boat finished and it would be described as a island trader. Gaff rigged with three jibs up front made it look like you could really fly along with the trade winds.

My latest effort is going to be a motor cruiser when completed. After that I will have to find a new hobby and build rockets or airplanes or such. Working with your hands is fun and it helps the arthritis.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wow! Impressive! Your hobby makes great gifts too, appreciated forever.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...