Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Little Band of Gold




When we got married, Theresa gave me a gold wedding ring. It was her mother's husbands ring and had a simplicity about it that was perfect for me. I practically never take it off and it suffers from rough usage when I am working or playing golf.

Back four years ago I was trimming trees in our Ontario home and pulling weeds and filling many bags for recycling. I discovered that the ring was missing. Before telling Theresa I worked frantically to try to find the ring. I emptied all 11 bags and carefully examined everything more than once. My neighbour Frank joined the search with no luck.

I explained the problem to Theresa and she went into high gear. My mother-in-law joined the search and as the day wore on we felt defeated. One more time we took everything out of the bags and gave up. An in house search next was carried out just in case I was mistaken as to how it disappeared.

Next day the bags were to be put out curbside so I got up early and looked once more. As I was closing the final bag I caught a flash of something yellow and there between two rocks was the ring. I was so happy and decided to never have this problem again.

Well it happened on our cruise. As we lined up for departure Doris had a medical event and required help from the paramedics. I was helping and as I lowered Doris to the floor I discovered that my ring was missing. Immediately with all the confusion a couple of hundred people started looking for this ring. Some even wanted to look in her clothes. Bags were opened, mats lifted, corners examined and I was helpless with Doris.

After Doris was stabilized and was permitted to board the ship after a disclaimer was signed I felt the impact of the lost ring. A report was filled out and description carefully documented with all the details. We began our cruise.

As we returned and I decided to make a claim on my insurance for the lost item I visualized the new car I would buy with the insurance money. I put off the call for a day and decided to phone after golf. As I prepared to leave the driveway on my was to Royal Tee Golf Course I dropped a golf tee between me and the door. Without looking I reached down and felt something familiar. A ring held between the seat and the post was my surprise. I was extremely happy and thought I should run in to tell Theresa. It was 6.45 so I drove off. I formulated a plan to have some fun.

I was going to put it in Theresa's jewellery box, no better to put it in Doris' and then the best idea came to me. At swimming time Doris always stays at the shallow end so I would put it there and hope she would find it.

All this time I was bursting with happiness. We swam, Doris found the ring and Theresa knew I put it there. End of story but I can assure you I will have that ring downsized so it will never again fall off and give me anxiety. Who would believe a little band of gold would capture our attention in such a way. I guess it is the bond that helps to keep marriages and people together.

2 comments:

  1. What a happy ending! I think if that ring symbolizes eternal love - then it is indeed fulfilled its purpose. Just like in relationships that sometimes fall away temporarily only to be reclaimed when least expected, this little band of gold has stayed true. Congratulations on your find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got it back. These tokens of love mean a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...