Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympic Amateurs

There is hardly a chance to observe a pure amateur athlete today. Since Russia filled its ranks with Soviet Army personnel there came an abrupt end for anyone who was a true amateur to compete and win.Every country followed the Soviet in permitting professionals to fill the ranks of the team members.

This has given the world an opportunity to see the very best in every athletic endeavour. The Olympic athletes of today are already front and center in their sport and have been given sick monetary rewards for their skills.The amateur who just wishes to compete has little opportunity to make a team. Some small , poor countries are able to send one or two people to represent them and are so proud just to be there to show their country,s colours.

It almost begs the question of whether we should have an amateur games and a professional one. Look at football and the world cup. It is even bigger than the Olympics and it is professional for sure. Nearly every sporting endeavour has a world title but it is not the OLYMPICS. Here you represent your country and sacrifice all for the glory of being an Olympian. It was my greatest goal as a young person and tried so hard to reach that goal. I was a runner who came up short but won the honour of representing my district in the Canadian finals.

It sounds like a lot but I was proud to do my thing at this level. I had a taste of the feeling were I to get away to Italy. That Olympics , I was happy and sad at the same time. If just being in the mix for a spot on the Canadian team could evoke such an emotional response, what would the real thing do for you. I still catch that feeling I captured in 1960 and every four years I think I could have done more to reach my goal. Now I live vicariously and watch my Canadian Athletes shine on the world stage.GO CANADA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...