Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First Florida Encounter


About forty years ago I had an opportunity to attend the American Principals Association in Miami. I was only thinking about the trip at the time when I met an older educator who told me it was a chance of a lifetime. The perk was that you were able to take your wife along as there were programs for them. I agreed to go but was so not used to travel outside of Canada I had concerns.




I really never knew what to expect, what clothes to bring and all the other baggage that goes with uncertainty. On the day of departure from Ottawa there was a horrific ice rain storm. As I began my trip down the Ottawa valley I was the only car on the road. Our flight was at 7.00am and I started at 2.00am because of the weather.




We managed with difficulty to get to Arnprior where a OPP officer had the road blocked. I explained my circumstances and he let us through with a warning. Every small hill was a challenge and the three transports off the road were a reminder that the policeman knew what he was talking about.




We managed the airport with time to spare and registered at Air Canada to find out the flight was delayed in Montreal and was two hours late. We mingled with the other travellers who were also going our way and the time passed quickly. We boarded the plane and after de-icing took off for Paradise.




Mid March warm , hot air greeted us in Miami and I was hooked. My first palm tree, green grass and white egrets were all new and wonderful. Renting the car and off to the hotel in itself was freedom, freedom from the cold and windy weather we were experiencing in Ontario.




That working vacation gave me a thirst for more and up until this day I have been coming down here in the winter months. I always loved the winter way of life with all that goes with it. Hockey, snow mobiling, skiing and I could go on but with arthritis creeping into my life, Florida was the medicine I required. I am forever thankful for my introduction to this place and with the other half of the year in Ontario I have the best of both worlds.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you and T that you have the life in Florida that you do. I have a sneaking feeling that it will add years to your life. And that is a GOOD thing! XXOO

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...