Monday, February 1, 2010

Golfing With The Critters

Our Friday night golfing tee times gives us an opportunity to meey people and have a good time. We play nine holes and have dinner. After this there are draws for prizes and Theresa always wins. Last Friday we arrived early and socialized with the 70 other people who have the same idea, have fun and meet people.

We were paired up with a couple who seemed very quiet. As we played a few holes Theresa entered a conversation about where we were from and so on. She exchanged answers and found we were not only both from Ontario but from Oakville. Then to our surprise we discovered that they lived about eight doors down on our street.

Our friendship went into high gear and we really loved the game and conversation. On the 6th hole I made an errant shot and bounced a shot off the water and up on the bank. It happened that it was the best of our four shots so we proceeded to the area where my ball sat.

I lined up mp my shot and had 118 yards from the green. Just as I was about to shoot I noticed a alligator in the weeds not 6 feet from where I was standing. I wished to hit anyway but when I did the alligator slapped the water with his tail and disappeared into the lake. The women shreeked and yelled but my hit was not affected.

This is a common occurance here and I was used to it , theresa blamed the trauma on the next shot she made, as it was not great. We all laughed the incident away but you have to be careful when you golf with the critters. Two years ago Theresa and I were golfing and again I hit a ball into the water. When I approached the ball I noticed a small coral snake by my ball. I invited theresa to see it as it is the most deadly snake in Florida. She did see it from afar. I was quiet about it as people here kill snakes on general purpose. These rare snakes have a role to play and must be protected. It is the price to pay when we play in their back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...