Friday, July 10, 2009

Youthful Challenge


Pool is a skill game that many folks enjoy in their homes today because it affordable and pretty much available. I have been fortunate to have inherited a pool table when I bought a home in Pembroke. The owner finished the basement without thought of removing the pool table if he moved. This game table was used for the enjoyment of our family and the stains in the cloth attested to its use.

The kids entertained their friends in the room which doubled as a laundry room. It made a great folding space and sorting table as well. The stains came from pepsi, mixed drinks and other liquids which added to the character of the room and table.

In Oakville we had a large room which was designated as the cave because it became my tv room and sanctuary. It was just big enough to have a pool table. A neighbour was throwing the table out after his kids left the nest and offered it to me. He also gave me two sets of balls and all the goodies needed to set up a pool hall.

This table causes all the users to be creative as the walls are too close for some shots and cut off cues are needed. A door to a closet makes shooting possible when open and so on. You get the picture, the room is not really big enough. We have more fun there when we have family gatherings as the kids and sometimes adults gravitate to the cave.

There are not many stains on the cover yet as a new cloth was purchased and the newness intimidated the users. My grandson Troy has been a constant player since he could look over the edge of the table. He learned the rules at a young age and calls them when necessary. We play every chance we get. Today we played three games and he cautioned me not to give him any advantage but to play to win.

I always do play to win but Troy is determined to be a better player than me. One day he did win fairly and it motivated him to try every time to beat his grandpa. Someday he will, but until then we will just have to use the pool room for male bonding and good competitive fun.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me a lot of my dad. :) He'd wanted a pool table for ages, so when he built his home, he finally purchased one. It's really too big for the room, so we have a shorter stick to use from one side where the wall is much much too close.

    (And I'm pretty sure he lets me win.)

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...