Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Arlen


Fifty years ago I met a little bundle of energy called Arlen. A shock of blond hair down over one eye and a smile as wide as you please. He was a student in Magnetawan Public School and was introducing himself on the first day of school. I was new to the area and was trying to put names to faces and I had no trouble remembering him.

He was very bright and mischievous and gave his teacher plenty to think about. Being a good athlete and competitor with a handful of close friends made his life pretty good. He helped to introduce me to Roma. Roma was driving him home and called in at Ray Kings gas station. As Arlen pointed me out to Roma she ran up on the gas pump protection. I was playing horseshoes and we had to leave the game to lift the 51 Ford to a safe place.

After that I saw plenty of Arlen and he became a great friend and later, brother-in-law. Arlen had to grow up too fast as his dad needed help and Arlen's education took second place. I knew of his potential and thought someday he would emerge and use his strength. A quick learner put him in positions where he sat beside graduates at McMaster studying complicated data and was never out of place.

When Arlen married Bette it was the best contract he negotiated. A union man for most of his life, he saw a good deal and the contract lasted all these years.He and Bette were frequent visitors to our home in Pembroke and made the trip with his children, a large dog, Bette and a guitar - all in a VW beetle. We all looked forward to these visits as his music commanded all the attention. He was good - very good - and our children probably picture him in his element with a guitar pick in one hand, a drink in the other holding court on some of his pet subjects in between tunes.

There is so much one could say about this man and his love for boating, travelling and enjoying the company of Bette. We will miss the times we were together and remember the high points that will always be with us. A short life? Not really, as he lived to the full extent of his ability to grasp each day in a meaningful way with his family and friends.

Our families will meet this week to celebrate Arlen's life and there is plenty to celebrate.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds as though he's led quite a life to remember. It's rewarding to hear of such full and rich life stories...comforting. Best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget those loud and boisterous gatherings when Arlen played the guitar - or the time he sent me a picture of himself for the newsletter I used to send out full of jokes. He was pulling a Leonardo DiCaprio at the front of his boat (albeit buck naked!) - "I'm King of the World!!!" was the caption underneath.

    You have my deepest sympathy, H.

    Love,
    HBB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories of Arlen make up a big part of my childhood and as I sang some of the mischievous songs he sung to us - to my coworkers - we all laughed and it warmed my heart. I can hear his big laugh still...

    HBB - you nailed it! The picture said it all! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - I just got caught posting a comment under Polar Bear's profile. (I was just correcting the spelling of Arlen's name from Arlyn). I wrote the comments above ... Phew ... confession is very cleansing.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...