Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thinking Back

My memories of my time shared in the High Arctic have become pictures of special events hidden in the recesses of my mind. This time of the year up there was very new to me as the sun was forgetting to appear and with 24 hour darkness I had to make some adjustments. I never had those bad mental and physical effects that many experience when moving to the North.

I was determined to carry on and with my dog Buck we continued to travel to my fish and hunt camp on Grainier Lake. Travelling to and from the camp was a challenge but when the moon was bright it added a whole different atmosphere and I loved the solitude with the beauty of the white landscape and moon shadows.

Every once in a while Buck and I would encounter caribou or muskoxen and we would just sit and watch them silently disappear into the whiteness of the landscape. One time an Arctic  owl swooped down and nearly took my helmet off as it attacked me several times. I must have invaded her space.

In town the Inuit pretty well hunkered down but people managed to complete their work and find time for ice fishing for fresh Arctic Char and lake trout. The air temperature was averaging minus thirty below zero but with the wind it was way colder than that. I received great advice from my Inuit friends when they helped me purchase clothing to withstand the cold temperatures and specially the wind. I never really felt cols on a regular basis and when I travelled over land for a distance I took special precautions.

All my clothes were similar to or the same as the Inuit. They were very costly but you must protect yourself. The danger of freezing was very real and for the first weeks I froze my eyes, hands and feet. Facial freezing was a regular danger and after a few months I rarely suffered any problems.

On the first of December the Hamlet had a big party in the rec center with live music, good food and beer.Everyone took part. In the afternoon the young people had their dance, food and soft drinks. Even the very young had a great time and when the day ended many were so tired that they fell asleep and parents carried them to their snow machines to get them home.

The night party for the adults gave some of the talented Inuit an opportunity to sing and jig and just have a good time. Since beer was served there was a limit of six over the evening. This was a colourful night with the women dressed in bright colours and a beautiful array of Inuit clothing showing plenty of fur and excellent sewing skills. As the evening ended the people drifted to their homes where the party carried on with the addition of home brew and music.

I loved the customs and traditions of the Inuit and I regret the bad influences of the outside world which eventually will partly destroy a people who survived 10,000 years as an independent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...