Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Year Later

The other day I celebrated a very important anniversary. It was a year since I had my surgery which gave me freedom from pain which haunted me for many years. The spinal fusion was a complete success but I still had work to do to become mobile and able to perform physical tasks as well as before.

The surgery left me with a blood clot and some nerve damage to my right leg. I was told that the recovery would take up to 18 months and I believe it. I lost about 30 percent of my back flexibility which means I can pin up my golf ball but when I occasionally sink a putt I am unable to reach down to pick it out of the hole..

Theresa and I attend a gym five times a week and we are enjoying the exercise. I hope that the program I am on will help me with the strength issue and perhaps the other issues which I have. It is difficult to have a problem putting on your socks or shoes but it is a small price to pay for the benefits I received  from my surgery.

It is a mental issue and when I become a little concerned about my lack of mobility or any deficit I have physically I quickly  remember before time. I now realize my golf game will never return to its best times or my walking will have speed or agility problems. In fact nearly every physical act I perform will be a little less efficient than in the past.

I accept the situation and give thanks to the Dr's who gave me the increased freedom from pain and a chance to live a normal life. When my Dr. told Theresa and I the true fact that I would end up in a wheel chair without the surgery it took me 10 seconds to make the call. I really helped me to have a wife who was a nurse and understood the need for patience and hard work to recover. Our life has changed over the past year and I know that the recovery will be on going for the next period of time.

All in all the past year was an adventure for me and everyone connected with my recovery has made it happen. I am thankful.



1 comment:

  1. What a year has brought! Aside from some of the flexibility issues and age related aches and pains, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are just grateful to have you in our lives. And for the record, I have trouble pulling on my tights too!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...