Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11

November 11 has special place in my life. As a young child I was taught that the 11th was a remembrance day; a day when peace was recognized and there should never be another world conflict. After the first world war which ended in 1918, countries of the world signed a proclamation against future conflicts. So Remembrance Day evolved as a day of peace.

It was only a few years when the second world brought the world to a deadly conflict where millions of people were killed. The civilians died by the millions and whole cities were destroyed.Weapons of mass destruction brought a new phase in the manner in which wars were fought.

As time changed so did the emphasis. Now countries call this day many different names and the emphasis is on the men and women who fought and died in the cause of freedom and liberty.

I always find this day an emotional one when I see the old vets who left their families and friends to defend freedom in foreign lands. When I was in Holland playing Old Timers Hockey I visited the grave site of my uncle who died during the great conflict. When I was taken to the field where he was buried the keeper drove me by means of a golf cart to view his headstone. There were thousands of crosses and the size and scope of the numbers staggered me and left a permanent impression.

Now I ponder the living who fought and returned with scarred memories of the horrors endured during their time on the battle field. There was little or no comfort for these human beings who were called upon to experience inhuman acts. Most coped but many who had fragile emotional strength drifted off and many became lost souls. There is enough evidence that wars solve little and there has to be a better way of solving differences.

My thoughts at this time is thankfulness for the heroes who defended our country and free way of life and gratitude for the men and women who choose to wear the uniform and find themselves in harms way to keep us safe.

Remembrance Day was a holiday when I was younger and later it became less important and people were free to take a few hours and attend service. When school was in session men of the Canadian Legion came to our school and classes. I found this very meaningful as the students listened to a real live military presence. The students were moved by the stories from these vets and they probably received a life lesson.

I hope that this special day will always be a part of our moral fabric and we recognize the value in looking back a little every year to honour the role played by our military.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...