Tuesday, May 27, 2014

PSPS....1970

It hardly seems possible that 45 years ago almost to the day I was meeting with my superintendent Mr. Bill Burgoyne to prepare our final report to the Renfrew County Public School Board in preparation for the opening of Pembroke Senior Public School. This project was nearly a year ir the making and came about as the board built a new secondary school and the old historic Pembroke Collegiate became available. With enrollments dropping and consolidation on everyones mind the board appointed me to develop a plan for a new senior public of some 800 plus students and the closure of a number of local elementary schools.

My superintendent gave me great support and short guidelines. Keep him informed at all times and do nothing to cause embarrassment to either he or the board.I had one support staff, Mrs McIntosh who worked with me throughout the adventure. An adventure it was and later Mr. Fraser came on board and the team came up with a total plan for the September opening of PSPS.

We developed a program that sought to provide a social, academic,physical and cultural experience for every student. We hired staff from within the system but some third were drafted from all over the educational community. I was so proud of the staff and students of that educational body who from the very beginning provided excellent motivation to strive for excellence. Our motto was learn with pride and learn we did with so much activity in every aspect of the curriculum.

After 45 years of memories my experience at PSPS still remains  as my most rewarding adventure in my 37 year career.I would love to see just how that school influenced the lives of the young people that made PSPS two years of reaching for their educational goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...