Wednesday, February 12, 2014

YOGA

I have been attempting to improve my physical self during the time since I had surgery. I had lost much of my balance, agility and overall well being. I signed up with the health club and attended regularly five or six days a week. I became much stronger and felt more energy but my agility has not made nearly the progress I expected. I was helped by receiving a leg brace and this was a great device for keeping my leg stable while walking on unstable surfaces like sand or grass.

My children thought that yoga would help me so I decided to sign up. This morning I attended my first class. I just finished my one hour fifteen minute workout and had to hurry to the yoga room. I borrowed a mat, had a towel and a liter of water. I arrived at the yoga door but it was shut. I opened the door and peeked in. The room was dark and very hot. I stepped in and saw people all laid out on mats and not moving.

A lady { the teacher } quickly moved to my side and in a small baby voice told me to take off my shoes and put them in the cupboard. It was dark so I put them on the floor near the door. She then directed me to a empty space between a lady and man. They were quiet and as I tried to spread the mat it flung open and I retrieved it and was told that I was to wrap a small pillow with my towel and get settled. I have a problem with getting to the floor gracefully and on my attempt to do so I over rotated and nearly landed on the little lady next to me.

By now I wanted to get out of there but the teacher came and straightened everything out. I no sooner got settled when she changed the positions. Take the dogie position she whispered and I looked through the darkness and watched as everyone took the position. I followed and the rest of the 75 minutes went like that. I was tired after the session and though I would return to be learned up on this new exercise plan and become a better physical specimen. I have no long range plans to stay with this program if I feel embarrassed as I did today. The only saving grace was that the lights were low and I remained incognito.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...