Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Travelling South

Planning and executing a holiday trip is more complicated than you think. Theresa and I planned to go to Jamaica for a week and after the visit to the travel agency the fun just began.Packing for all of the thousands of things that could happen takes up most of my space in the suitcase. Medications, band aids, clothes for all occasions and cancelling the paper, turning down the hot water and more little things we do before every trip.
Getting to the airport three hours before takeoff means leaving at 4.30am. A $70 cab trip gets us to the cattle corral where you line up with hundreds of other people leaving for fun in the south. The line could take up to an hour or more and that is just to get rid of your checked baggage and a boarding pass.
I am looking tired in the line and a lady brings me a wheel chair and I accept the offer and off we go. Through  and past the line with Theresa walking along right to the security where we are taken to the special line and fifteen minutes later we are on our way to the boarding gate area.

We have time to kill so we read a book and watch the planes taking off and wishing we were on one of them. The time comes to board and again a rush to the line when your turn comes and pass down the chute and wait again as the people on board try to hurry the folks getting their oversize luggage in the overhead compartments.We finally get to seats 28 B&C and I try to put Theresa's carry on under the seat and we manage. Mine ,a backpack is full of good things like a book, food and a bottle of water has to be placed up above.

Now the hard part is to try to wedge my body into a space made for a undersized person. My boots won"t fit under the seat in front of us and I sit on my set belt and can't reach it and I began to question my choice of holidays. Being a patient person I settle down in my seat and plan to suffer every time the person in front of me moves. My knees are wedged into the seat and I cannot get room for the food tray to open.

I try to sleep, read and get



up to walk but none help with my misery.Four hours later we arrive and again the reverse of boarding begins.Finally we escape the airport and I look at Theresa and say...I am glad we came to Jamaica...feel the heat and all is forgotten for a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...