Monday, August 1, 2011

Long Weekend On The Ottawa River.

The Ottawa River is a mighty river travelling some 860 miles dividing Canada's two largest provinces Ontario and Quebec.It begins in the Laurentians far above the capitol City of Ottawa in Quebec and wanders in a north west direction until it reaches the Temiskaming Lake. Here it runs due south for 60 miles and then moves through the rolling countryside in a eastern direction eventually emptying into the St. Lawrence River at Montreal. In its travels it flows in all four directions. It is a deep river ,reaching depths of over 500 feet and has a yearly flow rate of huge dimensions enabling it to produce electricity along its course in several places.

This river was a motivating force in my life and the stretch between Pembroke and Des Jockims provided our family with years of family entertainment. We owned several boats during the nearly 30 years we lived on it's banks but the Miss Pembroke was our favourite. Looking through our log book yesterday motivated me to write this blog today. During the years we owned the Miss Pembroke I listed 0ver 200 groups experiencing the marvel of the river and the beauty of  Oiseau Rock as our guests. I counted some 3500 people in our log book and that was the sort of formal voyages. Numerous shorter outings with smaller numbers would bring the total to over 5000.

We never charged a penny for any of these trips but used the opportunity to engage people in the conversation about the benefits of our great natural resource. I later ran a commercial venture which was not a financial success but opened the river to many people.

Our boat was a family boat, registered for up to 55 passengers but we rarely had that many on board. On a regular basis we carried our family and their friends. Everyone was invited and our children became very proficient at running the boat and understanding the rules of the river.

In 1978 we decided to take a short cruise up the river without family but with good friends Betty and Bill. These were dear and close friends who shared much of our life together as Betty was my working partner. Quarters were spacious on board so we decided to stay for a couple of days. I seemed odd that we would have the boat all to ourselves. We travelled upstream and cut the engine and just drifted in the slow current. The weather was beautiful and we sat having a few munchies and favourite drinks. Occasionally we would dive over the side to cool off and resume our quiet time.

On this time away we were able to talk about matters that were on our mind and we shared some interesting thoughts. Usually we were in larger groups and being confined to the small venue I was amazed at how much I had taken for granted with these friends of mine. Here where we expressed our most inward thoughts I was taken up with the manner they viewed our friendship and felt humble and almost embarrassed  by my lack of understanding.I was getting a lesson from this small group in listening. Usually I would impose my will on a group, sometimes without considering the other points of view. Here on the Ottawa I was listening ,truly listening and getting an ear full.

I held a high profile in our small city and needed a leveling out lesson. With these friends I learned much and as the days went on I had a greater appreciation of they as friends and and sounding boards. The evenings were shared around a fire and again it is so easy to talk and share through a orange and blue flame reaching up in the calm air.

Each night as we retired to sleep I lay awake and mulled over the conversations and with an inward smile I drifted into peaceful sleep to awake refreshed and sad that we had to return to the dock in a few hours. Our sail home was quiet as I realized that something special happened there this time.Betty and Bill were lifetime friends and out on the Ottawa we bonded and sealed a connection which would influence me during my career and entire life.I only wish that I still owned the Miss Pembroke and could take my grand children for a rewarding weekend on the Ottawa River. Think of the lessons they could learn.

1 comment:


  1. I really want to thank Dr Ero for saving my marriage. My husband really treat me bad and left the home for almost 1 month i was sick because of this, then i contacted eromosalelovespell@outlook.com for help, they told me that my husband is under a great spell of another woman. They cast a spell of return back of love on him. And he came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again, i want you all who are having relationship, ex and even husband problem to contact eromosalelovespell@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...