Sunday, April 10, 2011

When A Handshake Is Good Enough

Our local farmers market is held every Saturday in the center of Cape Coral. The people who sell there are a range of local farmers and fruit growers as well as green house people. I have been dealing with one particular tree grower who caters to individuals who like to grow their own fruit trees. He sells about 40 different varieties of fruit trees and is very knowledgeable about everything he sells.

I have purchased half a dozen trees from him and besides getting a fair price he and his wife offer a wealth of advice. Their advice ranges  from planting , fertilizing to general care and you can get this help every Saturday for free. I purchased a star fruit tree and followed instructions to the letter. In spite of everything the tree lost its leaves during the first week. I inquired as to the problem and he said wait for a few weeks and it will come back. I waited four weeks and there was no revival. I dug it up and brought it back. After a discussion as to what might have caused the pre mature death of this noble tree he picked out another tree of equal size and told me again how to look after it. We shook hands as we did when I made the first purchase and he wished me luck.

These country folk who sell at the market guarantee their product but it is not in writing. For these people a simple hand shake will do thank you and they expect the same from from you. He never asked for a receipt or any proof of purchase but but he took me at my word.I like this way of doing business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...