Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fast Trip Home

As I delivered Theresa and Doris to the airport in Ft Myers I drove home with a thousand thoughts on my mind. After getting all the little tasks completed I decided to go to bed early and get a head start in the morning. I had this bad feeling about getting sleep in a house where all the windows and doors were sealed with shutters. My mind raced and I had visions of a fire and how would I make my escape. This was a negative , wasted thought as we never had a fire but my mind was convinced that it could happen.

I threw off the bed clothes and made the bed and was determined to pack the freezers and head home right away. After loading the last things in the van I went to set the security system. This is where things became unravelled. It is my habit of placing bottles of fumigating matter in each room and as I left I would activate them. Well I set the alarms and made my way to the garage. I listened for the long sound that signalled everything was OK. Before this our whole fire alarm system went bonkers. The fumigation material set off the fire alarms. I quickly re-entered the house to a horrible smell and made my way to the security box which was at the far side of the house,

With watering eyes and nerve racking sound I stopped the security system which read Police were  coming. I reset the system  and made my way out but with the smell being so bad I failed to pick up my cup of hot chocolate and ice cream bar. I left it for the ants I guess. Anyway I got in my van and at 12,39 am I started for home. The trip was quiet without the ladies but my GPS kept me on tract. As I entered South Carolina there was a weather watch and heavy rain, hail and very heavy hail pounded my van and the police halted traffic because of a tornado in the area. It passed quickly and we moved on. The place where it crossed the road was devoid of any vegetation and it was lucky there were no people or houses nearby. I arrived home at 12,30 pm and our house was empty. Theresa and Doris were at the hospital but all was well.

Doris is getting stronger and in a few days will continue with her work scrubbing floors and dishes. Actually she amazes me for her age and will get a well deserved rest for a week or two. It is good to be home to 38 degree weather and cool winds and rain but it is Ontario and it is the end of April. I always feel better when I cross the Peace Bridge and see the Welcome to Canada sign. Better still I will have an opportunity to do my duty and vote in the election.It was a fast trip home but don't you always think the way back is so much faster than the going away, I do.

1 comment:

  1. That is quite a trip for you driving alone like that. I can see the flying the ladies home made sense though and you will make it. The weather will be a shock for a few days and then you will think all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...