Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Skilled Workers From Central America

Yesterday I had a new roof put on my house. Not a complete roof but a portion not considered bad enough to do when we had our shingles replaced eight years ago. My son and myself planned to do the work ourselves but a good salesman for the roofing company convinced me otherwise. He promised to do the work quickly and professionally for a good price and I was sold. The temperature was 32 degrees and with the high humidity it felt like 38 C.

I received a phone call from the boss and he said the workers would be there at four o'clock. A white van appeared in my driveway on time and five men crawled out and instantly began the job. One came to the door and asked for water and that was the total conversation. Everyone in the crew knew his job. Without words they ripped off the shingles and laid the new fabric after clearing and nail heads. I was quite amazed at the smooth transition from one stage to the other.

Ladders were placed at crucial points and the bundles of shingles were carried up the narrow ladder and placed in the proper places. Everything was done by hand. No machines here and not a complaint. This was the third house they were doing this day. At seven the work was done and cleanup over. As they were packing their equipment I had a conversation with the leader. He and two of the others were from Costa Rica and the other two chaps were from Honduras.

They were here in Canada on a work visa but planned to become Canadian citizens at the first opportunity. Their quality of work and their cheerful attitude made me appreciate the contributions immigrants make to our country. In the few minutes we talked, I was won over by these hard working men from Central America. Before leaving, the leader took me for a quick tour of their work. They were proud of their completed job and I was satisfied that I had a good roof over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...