Thursday, August 5, 2010

Another Birthday


As I have said many times a birthday is important in our family. Sadly we were unable to gather the clan for this special occasion as some of us work. Better put I should have said that some of them work. My son is 44 and comfortable in his skin. He has become the careful , skilled one when it comes to projects requiring measuring and precise fitting as in finish work.

As a youngster he loved music and playing with hot wheels until he was old enough to discover the world of technology. At twelve he volunteered at the local cable TV station and began a paying job at CHRO shortly after. Since we were a family connected to the Ottawa River he became one of the youngest people to receive his captains papers at sixteen. He was a responsible person on the river with our family boat the Miss Pembroke. I trusted him to do the right thing and he usually did but there were occasions that he tells me about now that give me doubts about his overnight excursions on the mighty Ottawa.

Good friends give parents that security to know all is well and he did have good friends. As a matter of fact his friends back then are still his good friends now. His son is much like him and as he ages I know his influence will hold him in good stead. It is a good feeling to have children who become your good friends when you enter that stage when you become a senior citizen. Even though I don't feel old the calendar tells me that I should live every day to the fullest. Theresa and I do our best to live up to that motto and every birthday we celebrate makes us more aware of the gift we have in children and grand children.

Later this month my son will come to us and with a outdoor meal of steak ( his speciality ) and fresh grown vegetables we will celebrate his B'day again. His own family probably spoiled him already but we are prepared to do it again. Happy birthday son Henry.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family you have! I just caught up and read the story of your mother in law flying everywhere. Good for her; for all of you. Happy B. to your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, thanks for giving me a brother; a pampered boy who grew into one of the nicest persons I know. He is definitely better than a pony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like a great guy to have as a son and a friend. It is good one can slow down and just enjoy the relationships and the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...