Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Potatoes And Grapes

When we were young and all living at home my father developed a potato patch. By down east standards it was not large not having the best soil. It was really our winter salvation as we were able to put away about 50 bushels of fine dried potatoes. It was a family affair as our horse and single plow dug the spuds by turning over the drill, Then mom and dad would rake the furrow to release any hiding potatoes. We the children would pick the spuds and put them in a pile to dry.

The process took a whole morning and for two days the potatoes were carefully watched to make sure they were completely dry and ready for storage. We had large bins in the cellar beneath our house where they would be cool. Mom made these potatoes into a dozen different dishes but all tasted real good. Once in a while we had french fries and it was considered a treat.With a dozen mouths to fill we were able to have that resource just for the sweat equity. To this day I am sure potatoes are a staple in all our kitchens.

This year I decided to plant some potatoes just for the fun. I avoided squash and melons and planted 30 hills of white and red potatoes. They grew well and were ready to be dug a month early. Much to my surprise we were treated to a large number of fresh potatoes. I felt like I was reliving my youth except on a very small scale.

Grapes grow well in our neck of the woods and every year we get a good crop. Every year the squirrels and raccoons get there before me. This year I fooled the little creatures and harvested the grapes. This is the first time since I moved here and the juice is so good. I finally outsmarted the little creatures and tasted the fine grape juice.

1 comment:

  1. Potatoes are my absolute favourite! And yes, they were a staple in our home growing up -- and still are!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...