Saturday, August 28, 2010

Back Home

Theresa and I have been home for a few hours and already I am bogged down. Holidays are great but when you return the work unattended comes to roost and you have to dig in and rise out of the mess you left. It is amazing that two weeks can impact your yard and garden so dramatically. It therefore you can assume there is a similar effect on your relations with your kids and friends.

My neighbour had a heart attack, my brother-in-law died, my kids are packed for university and my mother-in -law will turn 93....all in two weeks. Good time to be away.

Our trip or adventure was amazing in so far as the weather was perfect, our schedule went according to plan, the lobster season opened three days before we arrived and our golf seemed above average. Most times we get a great charge out of the planning but this time the time utilized was greater than the expectation.We left the East yesterday at 9.30am and expected to take two days to return to our home.

When we crossed the Champlain Bridge in Montreal Theresa gave signals that we should go all the way home. I looked at the sign and it read Toronto, 540 kms and thought that since we came 1153 kms that maybe we would have to stay over and a town closer to home. Doris said she was OK and off we went. I was awake and only slept on the straight stretches but otherwise ready for the surge to Oakville. Some coffee and a little food made me feel good so we crossed into Ontario by 8.00pm. I thought we would be home by 1.00am but were confronted with lights from the OPP who closed the road because of an accident. We detoured and went God only knows and returned to our normal highway later. Travelling at a steady 115 kms brought us to our house at 1.40am.

We fell out of the van having travelled 1587 kms and Doris said she would sleep in. Theresa and I talked a little about the trip and I had a shower and a drink. I finally felt like I was on land again and retired at 245 am. Sleep came quickly but before we slept we expressed thanks for the wonderful 15 days and a safe journey home. Life really is rewarding and travelling with a loved one makes it all worth while. I have several blogs in the next days to share some of my love for the journey.

The only negative is the fact that we were separated from the family and were unable to share the experience except through e-mails and the telephone. Life is wonderful and worth sharing.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to go off and see the world, and is great returning to familiar diggs. Do share.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...