Friday, July 30, 2010

Pear Invasion


Our pear tree was planted six years ago in our back yard. It was one of those end of the year sales and I paid $7 for this crumpled, awful looking fruit tree. Devoid of leaves in October and guaranteed for a replacement if it did not flourish, I loaded it our van and brought it to our tree family. After planting I was to be disappointed because the location was unsuitable. In late spring I moved it closer to the house on the fence line. It grew and grew in one year to become quite a tree.

The second year it had so many blossoms and later fruit I had to prop it up. The fruit are large and heavy. The tree is now in it's fifth year of bearing an incredible number of fruit. I have to prop up every branch as the weight brings the branches to the ground.

Last fall I clipped seven or eight feet off the top and reduced the length of all limbs by five feet. After the slaughter of the poor tree it was a manageable size but I thought it would have a long recovery time. When we arrived home from Florida we were surprised to see this giant tree once more taking up a large portion of our side yard.

The fruit are flawless and provide all in the area with beautiful Anjou pears. The squirrels and raccoons have first dibs on the fruit and squirrels with fruit, heavier than themselves, are seen climbing to safety with their prize.

We make pear marmalade and other treats with the bounty but I like just biting into the sweet, ripe fruit for my daily snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...