Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 12th Tomatoes


Ever since I started to grow tomatoes I strived to have a red one, a ripe one for the Orange Day celebrations. Orangeman's day is not celebrated anymore but that date was my ground zero for tomatoes. Over the years nature has been good to me and I actually did get that red one on or before the 12Th a few times including this year.

This year is a year like no other, with great weather, lots of rain and hot days. I planted my tomatoes on May 9th and it said they were 65 day tomatoes. A new hybrid with average size fruit but early ripening. The plants have achieved a height of over six feet and are actually covered with blossoms and our crop will be getting red as I write. This will be very satisfying as the last three years I had no such luck. I plant my tomatoes in well drained soil along the sunny side of the garage. I plant 18 along a 24 foot long, 3 feet wide patch which over the years has received so much compost that the soil is compost. Water every day along the roots and keep all the weeds at bay and you will be rewarded with a bountiful crop. Dr. Oz says that you should have tomatoes in your diet in some form every day. I prefer fresh tomatoes on bread but sliced tomatoes with olive oil and basil is not too shabby.

We feed all our neighbours and family during the summer here and in Florida in the winter.

1 comment:

  1. Looks so inviting! You do grow a fantastic garden ...
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...