Thursday, July 15, 2010

Home From Africa

What a great welcome from daughter no 1 when she burst through the door to announce that she was home from Africa. If you know my daughter you will understand that for the next hour Theresa and I just sat and listened to the most wonderful saga. She had this dream for years that one day she would go to Africa and take pictures of the elephants. Well she did.

Every word that she uttered was a verification that the money spent and the time away was well worth it. I wanted to go as well but knowing the demands were a little beyond my ability to perform I stayed home. I lived through her dream and every word she spoke was a true reflection of my own desire to be with her and my grand daughter. I loved the vitality and the deep love for Africa she experienced and it was similar to her feelings during her visits to the true north in Nunavut.

Many of her thoughts expressed a similar culture for people who live off the land. She brought me a very symbolic gift as she was given an elders stick for me as I was considered to be an elder in my own country. It is a piece of art with tiny beaded work around a stick which is given to people who are elders in their own right.

I shall treasure this gift and will no doubt be reminded many times about the symbolic significance of this gift. I am so happy to have my loved ones back in Canada safe and richer for their experience in that great continent of mystery and beauty Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...