Monday, June 21, 2010

School Year Ending

For thirty-five years the end of June was the busiest time of my life. As an educator we focused on student evaluation, graduation and special events. For the principal we had to make sure everything was organized to make the year ending smooth and plea sent. As much as I loved to see my students move on I always had a little mini depression on the last few days. Even though it was the beginning for the graduates there was a sense of loss to the people who nurtured them along the way.

The pride shown by staff and parents on these special occasions was overshadowed by the bright eyes of the students who were eager to advance into new territory and new challenges. Every year my wife would tell my children to be a little careful around this time of the year. Your father has so much responsibility and so on. Actually the responsibility part was nothing as I trusted staff to carry out their responsibilities and this made it easy for me. It was this emotional thing for me. Staff leaving, some retiring, parties, special events like the annual golf day were all part of the closing ceremony called "end of the year" for educators.

Now as I see my children having the same experience because their children are moving on and I feel more comfortable. I am no longer in the mix and can stand back and bathe in reflected glory as my grand children pick up their diplomas and sometimes recognition for a job well done. I don't get invited to speak at graduations any more nor to be there to present the athlete of the year award. I kind of miss that but only a little as other important issues take up my time and tomatoes become my students and the fruit from my trees sweeten up my life and help with the memories of those great year endings.

1 comment:

  1. I do understand! I went through withdrawal symptoms too for a few years. As an educator, your life rhythm is the school pace, the work, the special events. We had special seasons within the year, opening week, closing week, graduation, parents' conferences. The pace never really let down until summer vacation. We have earned the rest. Let's bask in the old glories.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...