Monday, June 14, 2010

Cherry Time Again




When Doris bought us a cherry tree for our anniversary five years ago I never thought we would be blessed with such an abundance of fruit. There are four kinds of cherries on this tree which now stands taller than our home. I actually pick many of the cherries while standing on the roof of our home.

Most of the fruit is of the large yellow type. Excellent for eating or preserving. Its greatest use is fattening up the blackbirds. On the day I plan to pick I must get all I wish as the birds take over. They glean the trees clean in short order. Since today is picking day we are fortunate that the birds have not come in numbers to fill their crops.

We get enough fruit for many families and I extend a welcome to my family and friends to come pick all you wish. We make cherry jam, my favourite, jelly and freeze bags for pies and baking. They freeze well and last year we were able to use the frozen fruit until we retreated to Florida. We are happy with the crop and it will make up for the no show of apples. Our apple trees were full of blossoms but too early as they never got pollinated.We have one little apple on one tree and a handful on the other. Well next year it will be better.

For today I have to try to put some of the picked cherries in the pot and not in my mouth. They are so tempting. Mother nature delivered again and we are thankful.

1 comment:

  1. One tree producing a variety? Fabolous! How do you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...