Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Last day of Golf in the North.

This am at 6.45 am I got up to play golf and as I opened the front door to get the Toronto Star I was met with real cold air. It felt like -3. I returned to the kitchen to heaten up the kettle to make my green tea and looked out the window and saw frost on the neighbours roof. What am I thinking of ?

I check my cold clothes and select a layering thing with a sweat shirt, a golf shirt and a wind resistant outer cover just in case.I ate my cereal and drank my two cups of green tea and realized that my ride was due in a few minutes. My golf bag felt heavier, my feet moved slower and I felt a coolness in the air. I managed to get the bag to the curb and returned to the warmness of the front hallway. I was greeted by my wife who declared that I was crazy to go this day as it might give me a cold or something thus hurting our chances of leaving for Florida in three days.

Common sense does not apply to golfers so I went out and stood by my clubs waiting for my ride. I quickly threw my clubs into the small trunk of this mini van and climbed in the back seat. The two already picked up confirmed that we were crazy but the talk quickly turned to the shots we made last week. They were better today than last week but we never correct as we probably do a little apple polishing ourselves.

We arrived at Century Pines and I found I was the only one in shorts and I received a few comments , none complimentary but rather questioning my sanity. Our game was great and the weather and temperature was never mentioned as we played for four and a half hours on the course. This day I was lucky and split the pot. Eight players and $2 each gave us a total of $8. What a win and since it was my last until May I have bragging rights for the winter.

I was delivered home and had a hard time getting out of the van and carrying my clubs to the garage without limping was a chore. God , golf is a great sport.

2 comments:

  1. So funny! It was super chilly this morning at 6:45 am - did you hear me beep when I drove by? Guess it was a good way to close out the Canadian golf season. In a few days -- Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Common sense does not apply to golfers "
    Now that is something we can agree on:-)

    I'm glad you had fun

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...