Friday, June 12, 2009

The Wings

For 62 years I have been a Detroit Red Wing fan. I was ten when a player from the east coast played with Detroit and I was hooked. My friend Doug is also a fan and he cannot even watch the games in the playoffs, and his poor wife has to watch and relay what is happening. We are true fans and stuck with the team in the bad years, and the good.

Today when hockey is a business and players are pawns being traded and disposed of as commodities in a factory, Detroit stands firm and has team loyalty. You can actually know the players from year to year. Tonight they play for the Stanley cup with Pittsburgh. Detroit have 18 players on the ice who were there last year when they won the cup.

Tonight I shall be watching the game and will be proud of our boys - win or lose.This is the team of Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay. I shall watch, have a drink or two, (probably rum and pepsi), rant and roar, and be into the greatest game in the world. When it is over I shall go to bed and sleep soundly because we have carried on the struggle to gain the Stanley Cup. This is the oldest professional cup to be played for in North America. Watch and enjoy. Polar Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...