Thursday, June 4, 2009

Building a Pegola with a Friend


What is a pegola? I didn't know until my wife placed a picture on the kitchen table and told me that is what she wanted on our patio. In the picture I saw a beautiful structure surrounded by professional landscaping making a perfect scene right out of homes and gardens.

I studied the picture and quickly became excited for the prospect of a project such as it was. I got out my sketch book and drafted a plan and listed what I should need in materials. I was satisfied that I could build the thing but how much better it would be if I could coax my son to help. He is always there when I need him for big jobs. He is strong and can see ways of improving my thinking in a way as to not rattle my ego and to make me think it was my idea anywhere.

I asked my wife if she would like to come to Home Depot to price the project and see if all the materials were in stock. She declined the offer and told me I needed time alone so get on with it. I love shopping in hardware stores where I can handle the good tools and dream of owning them come Fathers Day.

After a half hour I had the list priced and was amazed that the price came close to that which I quoted Theresa earlier in the day. Under $400 for a pegola 12 by 14 feet. The one at the store was 10 by 10 and cost nearly a $1000. Wow - I was saving $600. I never think of the labor cost or the volunteer help.

After the phone call to my friend, my son, we planned to get started next morning when he was off work and would complete the task in a day and a half. I was responsible for getting the materials to the sight and I made two trips with my van and loaded it to the roof. The hardest part was getting good product. I needed 6 by 6 timbers and went through two piles to get good ones. When I finished it looked like a disaster in the store. Getting 2 by 8s and 2 by 6s was even more difficult.

My son and I work almost without communicating about the task. We seem to know how to work together; sharing the different skill jobs and working at a fast pace we erect the timbers. My son does the measuring and I do the cutting. We do make mistakes but these mistakes become plan B and we move on.

All through the day we move from one stage to another. We plan to cook supper on the barbecue but we have lost the sense of time. It is seven pm when we finally take a rest.We were so engrossed that time did not matter. My son realized that we have practically completed the job except for a few small items.

We kind of laugh and start to prepare our steak and potatoes remembering the past when we did the same thing on another project. I lose all track of time when working on a labour of love. On this day the labour of love was being united with my son for a whole day by myself. We ate heartily and talked of the work completed and how we could have made changes for the better but we were satisfied. The next morning after a long breakfast we finished the unfinished and called Theresa for a final inspection. Her smile told us we did well and we were satisfied.

My son was off home in the early afternoon and we made plans for our next project, laying a hardwood floor in my granddaughter's condo. I hope the projects never end so I might call on my friend to spend a little time alone with his father.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job -- and I agree -- the fun is in sharing time with people you care about. I think you will make alot of memories under the beams of that pegola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Dad. Another fun time together:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found your blog through Lyn's. I'd heard about this project there as well. I just thought I'd tell you how much I admire the way it turned out. It's beautiful! Kudos for a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...