Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Proud Grandparents

Driving 112 km across 403 and up 400 was a pleasure this day as we were going to experience a special event. Our grandson Henry is an Air Cadet and this was the final parade for the year and also the awards evening. The drive was completed too fast as we were watching the development along this highway almost boggles the mind. We make the trip several times a year and the scenery changes dramatically. The lush farms become factories with huge, barren buildings or sub divisions with look alike houses or condos. This was not our mission as we were here to share a family treat.

Early supper was served by the host and hostess and all talk was of the evening. Henry is a third year veteran and proud of his achievements. Tonight he was in the colour party for the march by and was nervous. He also knew he was in the running for some awards although he he never expected to win.

Because he is a glider pilot and a three year airman he has goals for the future. He wishes to make his life related to airports, aeroplanes and space. I met one of his heroes while I was living in the arctic and passed some time with Mr. Hatfield. Hatfield was one of our Canadian astronauts and was in Cambridge Bay to expose the Inuit to his achievements and to study the aboriginal food for future use in space.

While he was there he gave me patches he wore while in space and I realized that the person who should have them was my grandson Henry. My wife presented them to him before the ceremonies at the armory. He was thrilled and I am sure he will treasure them as I did.

We watched the cadets go through their routines and the big moment came as the awards were presented. The last award was a medal from the Canadian Legion. Six may be given in any year for outstanding achievement and citizenship. When the award was given to Henry all of us there basked in reflective glory and shared this special recognition. In this case pride is not a bad thing but a symbol of well deserved achievement shared by loved ones.

The drive home seemed to go by quickly as we talked of what this evening meant to our wonderful grandson. We shared our reward of being grandparents to such valuable young people and look forward to the many future occasions when they make us proud once more.

3 comments:

  1. I really happy that Henry got to enjoy the moment with his Grandparents there. I meant a lot to him and to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of that little nephew of mine ... he is growing into a fine young man -- cause he's already a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should fix that spelling mistake....I meant to say " It meant a lot to him and to us". Not that I don't think I mean a lot to him but you know...:-)

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...