Saturday, June 27, 2009

PNC Reunion

I received my letter today from a friend known as the Duck. He is one of the organizers of the annual Teachers College reunion. We are the class of 1954-1955. Nova Scotia used to train their teachers in a educational institution called Normal School. It was anything but normal as the leaders of that school had the responsibility for turning out qualified teachers in one year . Their students were grade eleven and twelve youngsters , wide eyed and as green as the grass they played on only months before.

Truro was the home of this establishment and I was one of these green ones only I was brown.We as students were serious about our calling and strive to do our best. One thing we did well was bond as a group. So much so that we still get together every year and celebrate our friendship and remember the ones who did not make it back this year.

After 55 years we still look forward to see if Eric looks as young as last year or Bunkey has learned a new song to entertains us or to see which of the ladies has new grandchildren. There is always lots to talk about. Eric and the Duck live in Truro and lived most of their life there so they are called upon to be the hosts. There are more and all add to the most successful reunion I have heard of in my travels. The amazing thing about this group is the way it embraces new members. New spouses or friends are welcomed and become part of the group immediately.
Theresa and I do not attend every year as we have further to travel but it is worth it when we do attend .We are looking forward to the trip this year as we co-ordinate it with a visit with my family in Cape Breton and Theresa with hers in New Brunswick.

Our beloved PNC has been closed for years but whatever happened back in those days to unite us as a group of old retired teachers was somewhat magical and I hope it continues until we get together many more years.

2 comments:

  1. Hey dad,
    I will be attending a Reunion of sorts in August.The Champlain/Fellowes Levoy cup Football game. Henry and Glenda will be with me to represen the Brown clan.
    I look forward to seeing old friends to share each of our stories with eachother. The most cherished will Charlotte, Lee-Ann, Sharon and Jacqueline whom have been friends forever. I hope forever doesn't end for a very long time and that we can stay in touch as long as you have with your beloved friends of PCN.
    You have taught me how very important friends are in my life. The ones that have come and gone (but touched my life)and the ones who are near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new profile picture. It captures your essence far better than the previous one. Captain Polar Bear.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...