Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Gardens.


There is something special about waking up to bright sunshine and hearing the birds singing and you realize that it is not a work day. You are able to relax and have your coffee - I prefer green tea - while wandering through my yard. In a way your property is your domain and you should feel free and secure in its use. Many of my friends find great comfort in their wandering around their treasured bushes, flowers and vegetable plots to help forget the hockey game last night when THE WINGS fell to defeat. Not a bad loss but time for rebuilding.

Sunday is special as there seems to be a lack of pressure and often the anticipation of a visit from family or friends. We are like that but we are retired and every day seems like a Sunday.The cherries need a little more sun and the strawberries better ripen soon or the squirrels will have destroyed the crop.

This morning as I was basking in the safety of my favourite chair I was overcome with the horrible feeling of sadness. Sadness brought on by the horrors of war. The papers have carried many accounts of our young men returning to their families after brutal combat missions and being left to their own devices to re-engage in normal society. Our troops need every consideration and communities can help by offering a helping hand and a smile which says I understand and appreciate.

Personally I have known several young men who became someone else when they returned home. I wish that the government who asked them to serve will look after them when they come home.

I am sorry to interject this sadness at a time of happiness in our own back yards. We are able to have this secure happiness because of them. Have your coffee in your garden - but think of them.

2 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful reminder ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a boyfriend that recently enlisted, I can appreciate this.

    Thank you for being so compassionate.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...