Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mothers Day

Every year when Mothers Day comes along I try to express what the day means to me. I moved away from home at a young age so my picture of Mom was imbedded in my minds eye. It was only on visits that I saw my Mom grow older and more of a friend. Mom raised a large family and when I introduced her to my family and they to her it was a revelation. Two cultures clashing in a most remarkable way. Her relationship was not the person I knew as Mom but this wonderful grandmother. My children reaped the benefits of all the years of experience Mom embodied with her many grand children .

I saw a wise warm person who held a million thoughts and revealed only the very best when relating to the youngsters. It was a sad day when I realized that Mom had cancer and fought this condition silently and in such a dignified manner. Even when we would visit with all the kids she never wavered and carried on as if nothing was wrong. It was this inner strength which I have felt to be her great characteristic but it also shut the door on our ability to help ease the pain and emphasize with her during the struggle.

During the Mother Day celebrations in our home it gave we children the opportunity to show her how we felt and it was the closest we expressed our love for her by our little gifts and picked wild flowers. Some of us used to go to the woods and pick May Flowers which were the provincial flower emblem and bloomed just at Mothers day.

Mothers day still is still a happy sad day for me .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...