Sunday, July 6, 2014

Restless and Inattentive

I have listened to Theresa when she suggested that title for my new book be just that. This week I received a shipment of books from the publisher and was excited to see the book finally in print. It is a short book which records some of my memories of my educational career over a period of thirty five years plus.

I wrote this book as a welcome diversion from my many years of attempting to complete a book about life as I saw it from a life as the son of a coal miner in Cape Breton to a retired educator in Upper Canada. The struggle to include the many aspects of my life took much longer than I realized so I decided to take a break and focus on one aspect of my life and charge my writing batteries.

This short story was fun to write and I did so in a short period of time. I stayed focused and personal with the idea of staying away from the main thrust of my other work. It was a happy but emotional journey as I relived many moments that were beforehand kept in the dark recesses of my mind. My daughter Lynda was the one who encouraged me to begin writing and I began to blog. I have continued to blog and the joy I received motivated me to try a bigger project so here I am.

I have hand written many of my experiences over the years and attempted to write notes for children's books which will be the focus when I complete the editing of my next book. I expect to complete my next book by Xmas this year. Lynda has been my chief editing person and I could never have continued on without her help. Theresa has also been an encouraging force as she accepts the hours of my time writing when there are often more pressing needs around the home.

Writing was the last thing on my mind when I started to make hand written notes about events I experienced. These notes express thoughts and impressions which are my memories and not intended to be factual in every sense. My stories are written for the expressed audience of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...