Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hockey and Baseball


When I turned on the TV a couple of nights ago there was my favorite hockey team playing a league game. Although the game was tied after overtime ,Detroit won the shootout on sudden death and the Wings came away with two points. It was a surprise to find out that my cable package enables me to see a number of games per week. I along with many decided that this as a tarnished season because of the lockout could be written off. I was prepared to forget the NHL and watch college and American League hockey. The truth is that once I saw the Wings  I was hooked as before and now look forward to these games.

Right after the hockey game we were bombarded with baseball. Even though the season is weeks away the tickets for the games are on sale and the excitement begins. We have two teams who have their spring training camps here. The Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins have stadiums and facilities that are quite wonderful. Boston Red Sox have been given a freebie by the city as they built an exact replicate  of their home field complete with the green monster at a cost of $84,000,000 , tax payers dollars.

The Twins are getting a renovated stadium again at a huge cost to the local tax payers. The cost is in the neighborhood of $50,000,000. These dollars will be recovered by the tourists who come  in large numbers for the six weeks of spring training camp. We have our tickets now to see a couple of games and it is exciting to see the baseball stars close up. One can go to the practice sessions every day if you wish and talk to the players and watch them getting in shape for their golf game . The players love to come here for their camp as they play golf every day after practice.

Well the events for the next few weeks will be busy and interesting so Theresa and I will become baseball fans and I can still watch the Wings on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...