Sunday, June 17, 2012

Oh My Papa

The older you get the more you look back at your life journey. Although my Dad has not been with us for many years I find myself reflecting on my relationship with Buddy Brown. Everyone called him Buddy but his name was Charles. Dad began his life in a little house in the shadow of Princess Colliery, a coal mine in Cranberry, Cape Breton.

His Mom died shortly after he was born so he was raised by his two sisters. He attended school at a small 2 room building in Queen Pitt. He was bright by all accounts and in grade 8 at the tender age he was taken away from school and began work as a boy helper. He was a small boy and life was difficult as he worked 10 hour shifts without much monetary gain.

Mrs. Farnsworth was Dad's teacher and she became my teacher some years later. Mrs. Farnsworth told me the story of how she tried to convince my grandfather to leave Dad in school but was unsuccessful. My memories of Dad are very mixed as I was one of many children seeking attention from Mom and Dad. Dad was the strongest man I knew for his size and attempted to make all the boys the same. We worked along side of our father whenever tasks were to be performed. Haying, gardening and shovelling coal when we were not in school.

Dad placed a high value on education and encouraged us to do well. He demanded much from us but gave back so much more. Today I credit my success in life to the parents I had. The work ethic was driven into us at a young age. Dad used to say that there was no work too menial but approach it as an opportunity. We did every type of work as kids and were proud to contribute to our well being.

The finer things Dad did for we children gave me life happiness. Fishing; dad was a happy fisherman. He tied his own flies and was happiest when fishing a brook with us. Dad was an athlete and as a young person he played football {rugby} and hockey. An excellent swimmer and skater up to his eighties. He played the accordion with a Cape Breton flavour and passed on the love of music to us.

Dad drove us everywhere: to picnics, school hockey and summer camp. He came to my graduation when I passed through Teachers College in Truro. All in all he did more than expected, along with his many jobs. As he aged and Mom passed on he came to visit me in Ontario. One time I wanted him to come for a visit so I told him I needed help building a double garage. He was over eighty but came and practically built the place by himself.

Finally I saw a great transformation in my Dad as he shared time with his grandchildren and left a lasting impression with all of them. I wish he was here today to experience the wonderful family he started and the legacy he left behind. My memories today are all positive and I share them with all who will listen. My Dad did the very best he could under very trying circumstances. I am sure all of our family share this strong feeling of our love for our father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...