Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Buck

It is almost fifteen years to the day that I entered Buck in the dog pulling contest during Omingmak Frolics.This was one of the main events and Buck won it the past three years. I was a little worried about Buck this year as he did seem a little old for such a strain. He was anxious and showed this as the crowd gathered on the ice out in front of Ikaluktutiak on a cold day. The wind was cutting through our warm clothing and we each held a hot glass of chocolate  provided by the co-op.

Every year the rules are explained. They were simple ones but the main one was that the dog had to move the sled and weights a distance of sixty feet on each pull. Weight could be added between each pull in weights of 50 pounds. The weights were bags of sand. The owner of the dog could not touch the sled or dog once the pull began and only verbal commands could be used. No whips or cracking whips could be used.

Buck was ready but there were five other dogs ahead of him and several after him. There was betting among the crowd but it was not part of the planed event. The first dogs pulled amounts of just over 500 pounds plus the sled. When I placed Buck on the start I announced that I would only have Buck pull once as he was getting old. There was a little annoyance shown by the crowd but I held my ground. The official came to me and asked if I would change my mind. I firmly said no and that was that. The helpers placed 650 pounds pounds on the sled and I stepped ahead of Buck until I was at the finish line.

The crowd went quiet as I gave Buck the signal to come to me. He jerked left and right to free the sled and galloped to the finish line. It was over for him and he won the cup. I gave three of my grandchildren cups that buck won over the time I was up there.

Just to give the crowd a little something to talk about I jumped on the sled and asked Buck to pull me back to the start line. That was the last time I had Buck pull.The next year everyone wanted Buck to pull again but we went to the event as spectators and I was sure Buck was disappointed but probably inward happy as he was ten years old and that is old for a cross wolf-husky.

When I left the north I gave Buck to a boy who lived down the street. He promised to look after him and he did. Two years later Buck was killed by a pack of wolves who came into our Hamlet. I am sure Buck died as he lived....a fighter to the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...