Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembrance Day

 
November 11th has always been an important day for me. From earliest days during our school life there was a special emphasis given to this day. It was a declared holiday for many years but now it is celebrated without the holiday. As youngsters we were treated to veterans coming to our classes and sharing their stories with us. It was interesting that rarely was there a long speech about the actual war but rather what the war meant to the world and we in particular.

Later when I was involved in education we had students competing for the honour of representing our area in public speaking and essay writing. I felt that the little services held in a class or a school were very meaningful when attended to by a Legion Member. The children wore poppies and recited the poem,In Flanders Fields and there were tears from the older members of the gathering as so many were affected by the war.

I have personal feelings about this most important day as many of my immediate family were members of the Canadian Armed Forces during the first and second war.My father was a second world volunteer and went off to war only to find out that he was not suitable due to physical requirements and was sent home after basic training. He was given a volunteers badge which I still treasure and is a main part of my collection. Dad's wedgie is still in my possession and along with my own hold a respectful  place in my room of memorabilia.

In a way I feel fortunate to live in a time and place where I never was called upon to serve my country. I did serve as an officer in the Canadian Militia for years in a Scottish Regiment as did my Dad but I was too young for the Korean war and too old now to serve.



There are many ways to honour the memory of the men and women who served and died for our freedom. November 11th is a symbolic date. Every day there are opportunities to remember. Be positive and supportive when our people come home from war torn countries and suffer physical and mental disabilities. Support legislation that gives our vets a proper support pension and medical facilities. Be vocal in your support and let people know you care about those who have served on our behalf and most of all try to make Canada's foreign policy one of peace and caring for the oppressed and needy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...