Monday, November 14, 2011

Happiness Comes In Many Forms


Yesterday I attended a birthday party for three members of my family. All was going well and when the time for gift giving came I received a great surprise. My daughter and her family - through my son-in law Eddie - presented me with a pair of books outlining both my father's and mother's heritage. The sight of these two books overwhelmed me as I have been working towards this end for years. Every page opened up memories; dear memories of my family and stories of some who have long departed this earth.

Last evening I began to read until I fell asleep, enjoying and savouring every word of this precious document. I continued this morning and had to phone my sister Jeannie and shares some of the little snippets of previously unknown information. Some pictures were included and as I moved from one part of the family to another, Jeannie and I covered a hundred years. She felt she had to have a copy so I am going to try to get one for her. She is the matriarch of our family and she should hold the secrets of the family.

In any case it took a person who was seeking some distant relatives and came across the name, Vickers that triggered his interest and after seeking more information established a link between our families.What a neat happening. I am grateful for this unique experience and realize that happiness comes in many forms. Today I am very happy.

2 comments:

  1. It is warming to see the past and it creates a lot of wonder of who they were and what they were like as people. It was a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful opportunity to share this gift and demonstrates the amazing inter-connectedness of our world. Full credit must go to Charlene Fraser as it's her love of the history of Sydney Mines and it's people that made it possible.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...