Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Annual Bird Count

The annual bird count was in full swing yesterday and a friend of mine , I will call him John was counting in our area. Every year he does his best to count the numerous birds found in our particular area. They drive around and get out of their cars and take a count. Every year I tell this fellow that they miss the boat when they dont go to the golf courses.

Today when I played golf starting at 7.00am I counted over 100 birds on one hole. Eleven types and wood storks in particular. There are 27 holes on this golf course and over 25 ponds or lakes as they call them. I would estimate that about 2000 birds call The Royal Tee their home.

One of the reasons I like golf is because of the wild life found on these well watered and grassy pristine oasis. We have wild parrots, bald eagles, ospray and other rapters as well as numerous wading birds.Ducks, loons, coots and geese find golf a friendly place. This has been made better since there is no bad spraying or harmeful fertilizers in use.

People always said that golf was a game for the birds and I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...