Saturday, July 14, 2012

Robin Red Breast


A robin made a nest on a vine covering the outside chimney. She was civil for a while but during the last days she was the robin from hell. Every time we approached the nesting area she would dart from her nest and from a height bomb us.  She was relentess and followed me for some distance continuing to fly at my head until I was well out of her area.

I never wished to make her nervous or worried but I have to cut the grass, whipper snip and generally walk in the back yard. I never realized that robins, especially this tired and small mother could be so protective.

Some blackbirds came close to the nest this am and without warning she drove them not only away from the nest but out of the yard. She has been feeding what I thought was a brood but on closer contact I see that she has only one chick left in the nest.

With the ground so dry and hard the birds who eat worms are having a tough time. I was watering my beans and peppers yesterday and she was right in the water from the hose and showed no signs of being scared. I watered a large area so she could provide for her chicks but she doesn't return the favour. She is relentless in protecting that one last chick.

I took a picture of the nest and chick and for once she was not around. I really admire the instinct that drives her to the actions of self preservation. I should call her Robin Hood and stay out of her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...