Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Helping A Neighbour

Over the years I have learned to be pretty well independent in so far as household repairs and odd jobs. I have shared my limited ability to help my neighbours from time to time. In our neighbourhood  area there are number of widows who live across from us.These ladies look after their property and keep up the yard work in a meticulous manner. I offer to help with items which are out of their scope of expertise.

The other day my neighbour asked if I could repair a dresser drawer which needed some help.I took the drawer to my garage where I keep all my tools and surveyed the project. I was optimistic I could fix the problem in a few minutes. I set up my work station and removed the bottom of the drawer. I recognized this drawer as one I worked on before and remembered I had a problem. I cut out a new bottom drawer from material I kept in the garage and proceeded to push the new bottom along the grooves and it appeared to be a perfect fit.

I wished to add a little glue along the side of the drawer which was a little unstable and put the drawer on its edge on the workbench. I went for the glue and as I did a wind blew the project from the bench to the garage floor. I now had five pieces of material which could be rejoined to make a drawer.I was so close to completion.

When I examined the pieces of wood I noticed that all the nails had been pulled through the material which was that pressed wood.Work as I could I was unable to get the parts to fit properly. Frustrated and out of patience I wished to escape so I piled up the wood and closed the garage door. This am I returned to the project but only after I visited Home Depot. Glue called no nails and a new sheet of thin material for the drawer bottom was supposed to make my work easier and fast.

This glue was great and after I lined up the grooves and clamped the corners I was in business. Everything went well until I tried to put in the bottom sheet.I cut the sheet to make a tight fit but I cut it a mm to large.I could not use my saw to bring it to size so I used my sander. Finally it went into place and I quickly ran it over to the neighbours and left it on the doorstep as she was not home.

I  used five hours to complete a job that should have taken less than an hour.Some days you should stay out of the workshop and play golf and get your frustrations in a fun way. Anyway my neighbour has a good as new drawer for her dresser and I discovered a new product , no nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...