Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MAGNETAWAN

Magnetawan is a small village hugging the shore of the Magnetawan River. The River flows through beautiful countryside originating south of Burke's Falls and flowing into Georgian Bay near Britt. I lived there for two years and enjoyed the quiet life of the village. It was settled by people of German descent and the names of the settlers are still prominent.

The population was 397 when I lived there in the fifties and it is not much larger at the present time except in the summer months.Situated between beautiful lakes, Lake Cecebe and Ahmic Lake it commands the territory for a place to re-supply and it does in a big way.The cottage owners have been coming that way for years and the famous people who owned these cottages relied on the locals for casual work and service personnel.

While I lived there I was immersed in German food. My landlady was an 80 something dear soul who pampered me as the young school principal. Sauerkraut, rough sausages and sweet bread and coffee cake made up my diet. I learned to make kraut in the fall and continued to do so for years after. There was a comfortable feeling living in a country side where you actually knew everyone.

All the young men were in the volunteer fire brigade and while I lived there we were called upon to engage in quite a few barn and house fires. We never managed to put any out but we saved nearby buildings. Saturday night was dance night and the agriculture hall was filled to capacity. Everyone came to the hall,children, seniors and active teenagers joined in Polka Quadrills and square dances from 8pm until 11.30. This was the second most important social event, church being the first. Practically everyone went to church.

Back in those reckless days I was a Lay Preacher filling in our ministers five point charge.I soon learned that education was a better bet for a good life than religion. The pay was poor {non existent} and the hours were long. Actually those two years with the church opened up my political eyes and I chose politics in the future. To this day I believe they are much the same or at least you have to employ the same skills to succeed.

The winters in Magnetawan were very quiet and people used the out of doors to skate, ski and snow mobile. One feature that this village can be proud of is its respect for the deceased. The most beautiful cemetery sits on a slope on a back road. Huge pines line the graveyard and it is kept in perfect condition. Many of my family and friends rest there and when I visit the area I have a visit with all the people who have gone on before me.That place is dear to me and my children and they visit every chance they get.

Villages have had a great influence on our lives in the past but are being passed over in the present because of the changing world and shifting populations. What a pity.

2 comments:

  1. That's why I love spending so much time up in that area -- it has roots and memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i have old literature on Dr. freeborn and his wife do you no any of then . My email is .. kc.dawdy@bell.net this booklet was printed in 1937

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...