Sunday, July 8, 2012

Project Helper

For some time now I have working on a project in my basement room. I wanted to rid myself of the old wall unit which did not serve my need any longer. Firstly I had to get the unit out of the way, so I needed help. My son came along and did all the heavy lifting and cleared out the area so we could begin building.

I drafted a rough plan that fitted our needs and purchased the necessary materials. While my son was here we were able to cut the material into workable sizes. I painted the material before having it moved downstairs and that was a good decision. We were able to start by erecting the base and first shelf. Basements are not always perfectly square so measurements were a challenge.

While I was working at the wall unit my room was a mess and the pool table held all the electronic components as well as the treasured clutter that was exhibited in and on the old unit. It is amazing how much junk you can show in a relatively small space.

With Theresa's help we managed to place the whole new structure in a proper place without permanent fastenings. My helper returned yesterday and we were able to put the structure together. I was a spectator and gopher as my son worked on the electronics.Basically he managed to guide all the sound from the electronic devices through two large speakers. This gave a wonderful stereo tone. I could never have done that as I rely on my family to help Theresa and I with these chores. We rely on the same people for Computer encounters.

During the next few days I shall complete stage three of the wall unit and then the really difficult part emerges. I have hundreds of treasured clutter. Each treasure has a story and each one is important to me.I have agreed with Theresa to make this wall unit beautiful without clutter. I must make choices and that will cause me stress. As an example I had need of a short straight edge yesterday. I immediately went to the fireplace mantle and picked up a beautiful brass ruler given to me when I left PSPS. On one side it said, "from the perfect secretaries Betty and Nora" and on the other side, "to the perfect principal". That triggered  warm memories of days gone by and I did have a great visit vicariously with my fellow educators. How could I get rid of such items?

I shall box all the extra treasures and from time to time trade them off with the selected choices. I only have to find space to store those boxes. I was so happy to have my son once again help me with a project as it gave us time to talk and share our skills while just enjoying each other's company


1 comment:

  1. Looks great Pops! But I can see that the best part for you was spending quality time with your son. And I have a feeling it was the same for him. You always say that you learn most about someone when you work with them. It must be a warm feeling to know that you have the help you need when you need it most, by those who love you muchly! : )

    I love your treasures too.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...